Tuesday, October 3, 2017

If you have to toot, go to the bathroom...

If you think of me as a girly girl, you are correct. But if you think of me as a bit edgy, you are correct also. Especially when it comes to things like toots, burps (especially pool water belches),  and the fact that although I love Jesus dearly, sometimes I cuss a little. 

To explain my title, here is a story about my oldest granddaughter, age 5&1/2 at the time, in kindergarten. She had come home from school and stripped down to her underpants to keep cool. Her pupils , younger sister age 3 and I, were anxiously waiting to hear the wise words of our "teacher", standing before us with a little pointer and a list  (actually the 5T, 5T, 5T, 5T, 5T sticker off her new pants) of rules osted on the wall that  we were to follow in her classroom. I obediently listened to
Rule #1-"if you want to say something, raise your hand"
#2- "No talking if you are on the rug"
#3- "If you have to toot, go to the bathroom" ......   BAHAHAHAHA!!! I lost it! Dying crying from laughting so hard, I had to make her pause and just camp there a bit. My daughter came running from the other side of the house to see what all the commotion and laughter was about. I told her the story and she explained that her husband had just had a conversation with said child about how you should not do "such things" out in public now that she was in school or she might be made fun of. I knew there had been NO WAY that her teacher had said that rule out loud in  the midst of her class or it would have erupted like a volcano and never stopped! Oh, believe me, I have gotten miles out of that story!

But it does raise a point for life.Some things are just funny, uncontrollable, and universal!  There are things that should be kept private perhaps but guess what, we ALL do THAT! I think of world leaders, the  best preacher you ever heard, the most graceful actress or super model, even Jesus himself while on the earth since He was completely human and yet God, probably has had to toot at times and didn't want anyone to know. That is just hilarious to me! I think God is exceptionally funny to have designed our bodies to do those things and He had to have meant it for laughter. I can see no other purpose. I guess he could have made them silent, odorless, and handled it another way, but I'm really glad he chose the twerp, splat, puh, bleet, pert, or croak sounds to give us all a brief moment to just get over ourselves. Quick, silent, and deadly or full out long orchestrated TOOOOOT or BEEEELLLLLCCCCCHHH (remember Elf?), it seems that bodily sounds humor is inescapable for any of us. So i just say CELEBRATE IT!!

I know some people are very private about these functions and others are way too quick to share...  but can we just get over ourselves long enough to laugh a little? There are so many ways to acknowledge them... "who cut the cheese?' and "Thanks for sharing" were two of our favorites when I was growing up and while raising my family. You sure did not want to be trapped in a car with one of my relatives in that situation, but they will remain nameless here. Growing up with all sisters, and we were all pretty girly as well as our mom, I did not fully grasp the hilarity and joy of farts until I had a son. And I would not trade the  laughs we have had over them through the years.

If I've offended, I'm sorry, but if I've helped you lighten up a bit, great! This is one of those elephants in the room that no one ever talks about really. Especially a girly girl who is rather prudish for the most part and would probably die of embarrassment if she ever did this out in public. Regardless, it’s just funny, and no one can really change my mind on that! Don't forget -the Teacher said, If you have to toot, go to the bathroom"... or just let it fly and crack up til your sides hurt!

No comments: