Sunday, August 24, 2008

Another box of crayons

Well, tomorrow begins another school year for my children...like a new box of crayons, all children are sharp, colorful, different and full of their own creative possiblities.

My daughter , age 26, will begin her second year as a teacher- making a difference in the lives of children she will touch every day. This year she goes back to school as an expectant mother (due in April!). I know she will think differently about her role now as she grasps the concept of parenthood and how everyone in their world shares in the process of helping raise a child.

My son, age 22, will begin (hopefully) his last year in college before going out to find his way with a career. He has a lot of great ideas and many different thoughts on what he wants from life. His "box of crayons" is VERY large with more colors than one can imagine. He is an idea person and I wait expectantly to see what type picture he will paint---it will not be between the lines, that I know for sure!

My youngest daughter, age 15, will be a sophomore and her corner of the world is colored with a very busy social calendar. People are very colorful and she SEES them. There is a definite art to noticing others and pondering them...she does! I've seen a lot of change in her over this summer..she growing up , maybe faster than ever before.

I have a love /hate relationship with the first day of school. It makes me sad and it makes me glad. I won't be alone in the house again...I will not allow it. I will go out and be with people, finding my own box of crayons to "paint" with. I will rejoice with the rest of the world that there are always new beginnings and even when the crayons start to melt, get worn down, or you lose a few color choices, you always have the option to sharpen them and start coloring all over again.

I wish my kids well, again ,as they open that box, drink in the smell of the wax and choose the color of their choice to start with.....on their way to a beautiful , colorful, creative school year!




2 comments:

Jen and Travis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen and Travis said...

So insightful! But Mom...I'm 25. :)Love you!